Wednesday, November 9, 2011

If you never hear from me again......

.............. It's because I'm off to take a test filled with heaps of questions like this:


        a.     The strongest acid
        b.    The acid that produces the lowest concentration of hydronium ions per mole of acid
        c.     The acid with the strongest conjugate base
        d.    The diprotic acid
        e.     The strong acid
        f.     The acid with the weakest conjugate base

        HNO3(aq) + H2O(l) H3O+(aq) + NO3-(aq)  Ka = very large
        HSO4-(aq) + H2O(l) H3O+(aq) + SO42-(aq)    Ka = 1.2 x 10-2
        HCN(aq) + H2O(l) H3O+(aq) + CN- (aq)   Ka = 4.0 x 10-10
        H2CO3(aq) + H2O(l) H3O+(aq) + HCO3-(aq)       Ka = 4.2 x 10-7
        NH4+(aq) + H2O(l) H3O+(aq) + NH3(aq)      Ka = 5.6 x 10-10
        HF(aq) + H2O(l) H3O+(aq) + F- (aq)       Ka = 7.2 x 10-4

and this: 

Complete the table for each aqueous solution at 25°C.
        State whether the solutions are acidic or basic.
[H3O+]
[OH-]
pH
pOH
acidic or basic
2.0 x 10-5






6.25



5.6 x 10-2






9.20

8.7 x 10-10







..... and they had to take me to a mental institution after it was over. 


For those of you that enjoy this stuff, I tip my hat to you. Wanna take my test for me?


It's been real blog world. It's been real.


No comments: