Thursday, September 8, 2011

What I've Read this Summer: Pt. 1

My friends always do posts about the books they read, and I love their reviews SO MUCH! Because I am obsessed with books and almost equally obsessed with hearing about what others are reading. I'm not sure why exactly, I just like getting others opinions and seeing what type of things they like to fill their time with. It intrigues me :)
So, I finally decided to write my own little review on some of the books I've read this summer.




The House of Night series: books 1-8
This series was suggested to me by my friend Mallori earlier this year. I honestly had no intention of reading past the first book because I just couldn't bring myself to get sucked into yet ANOTHER vampire series (I've read Twilight, The Vampire Diaries, and most of the True blood series-- Yes, I have issues). But, I did and I am a little embarrassed to say I enjoyed the books. The series is very interesting for many reasons. The first being that it's based out of Tulsa, OK, aka MY HOME! It's setting is in downtown Tulsa, at the private school Cascia Hall, which is where the little booger-pickers I nanny for attend school. So, I'm quite familiar with it all and to see it in a popular fiction book is very, er exciting? Also, it has a very interesting take on Vampyre's (not vampire) and magic. It pretty much mixes the two together and it's completely different from any other vampire, s'cuse me vampyre, book you'll ever read. The love triangles also are very enticing but a little ridiculous at the same time. I would find myself wanting to scream at the main characters one minute then the next I was on the edge of my bed because I just NEEDED to make sure they would end up together. All in all, if you are looking for a great piece of literature, a sophisticated read that you talk about in book club, this series probably isn't for you. If your looking for a lighthearted escape from reality with little bit of magic, ridiculous/exciting love triangles, and a real imagination-tugger, this series is for you!


Water for Elephants:
This one is almost silly to write about now because of the craze it had while in theaters and so many others talk/blog about it... But really guys, it's that good. It's just a book that makes you wanna grab someone close to you and tell them, "I love you." It will make you laugh, cry, and want your own pet elephant. Go get it. Read it. Love it. Then, go watch it. 
Better review found here. 


Before I Fall:
It's rare that I say I don't like a book. I always try to find the good in it. But friends, I truly DID NOT like this book and will never recommend it.  First off, to be fair I might have a jaded outlook on this book because the main character's name is Samantha as well. Sam is a senior in high school and she dies in a car accident with her friends after leaving a party. For those of you that know me, this book hits a little too close to home as I was in a car accident in high school that took the life of someone I loved deeply and nearly my own as well. So, I had to mentally prepare and remind myself, "this isn't real.. this is fiction." Some of you are probably like, "SAM! What the heck? Why would you do that to yourself?" 
Well first off, I had literally finished all my books while waiting for my plane to head back to the states and I neeeeeded something for my next 24 hours of flying. So, I picked this up at the airport bookstore because the cover was interesting and it was on sale for $10, ha. I was also intrigued at how the author presented the story. You can't really tell what it's going to be about just by reading the back cover. At first, I thought it was an autobiography, but it's most certainly a fiction piece. I felt the ending was so poorly done, and the ending is always so crucial for me on if I like something or not. This goes for movies as well. The story is nothing new, meaning you've seen it in a thousand other stories in a thousand other places. Yet, I kept reading, thinking this HUGE CLIMAX would happen or the outcomes would change but I was filled with nothing but boredom and disappointment. I wish I could say I enjoyed it, but I can't. However, I've read other peoples' reviews on it and they have complete opposite views than I do. So maybe you will just have to judge for yourself!


 

The Poet:
This book is just down right awesome. My friend Rhea bought it for a couple bucks at a used book store and it went from her, Kristin, Rachel, and then me! By the time it got to me the cover was falling off and the pages were coming out of the seams. The story is a mystery/suspense set in Denver, Coloardo back in the mid 90's and it's always interesting to read stories before cellphones, with pagers, and all research done at the library instead of google on your iPad. We follow reporter Jack McEvoy and his search for an explanation on his brothers death. This book has so many twists and turns; one minute you think you know what's going to happen, then BAM! a curve ball throws the whole thing back and you're stuck asking yourself, WHO IS IT, WHAT HAPPENED?! The story jumps around from character to character and that makes the intensity just sky rocket. This book is dark, suspenseful, and intriguing. Be ready, the last 150 pages will have you sleeping with the light on for a night or two!

Part 2 coming soon... 
Happy reading friends!

3 comments:

Jessi said...

I have the House of Night series on my wishlist, but I'm a huge vampire/werewolf book lover. You should check out The Women of the Otherworld series by Kelley Armstrong.

I'm glad everyone liked Water For Elephants, I had such a hard time getting into it. It makes me feel left out. :(

Valerie said...

i love how much you love books!

-Mallori said...

I'm glad you picked up the house of night series! The fact that it's set in Tulsa and it's places I know also made it to where I was addicted from the beginning!

I've surprisingly come across a book I didn't like either. It happens though. I can't wait to see what part 2 brings!